Thursday, October 25, 2012

Thursday, October 25 Plimouth Plantation



I am attending a history of civil rights program today.  Your substitute will give you the following questions. Use the Plimouth Plantation text to respond. These are due at the close of class. Thank you.

Due tomorrow: Vocabulary 3
In class: please respond to the questions pertaining to "Of Plimouth Plantation", using well-written, complete sentences that include specific textual evidence where needed.
Questions pertaining to "Of Plimouth Plantation"

Homework: for Monday, October 29: please read the History of the Dividing Line/ Westover Chronicles  (handout / copy below) and the Walum Olum (handout; I cannot put this on the blog); answer the five questions pertaining to the Walum Olum. (copy below).

Homework for Tuesday, October 30.
Creative writing assignment: MLA heading; minimum 250 words. Reflect upon one of our contemporary evils. Select one and provide an imaginative explanation for its origin.

“Of Plimouth Plantation” questions Use specific textual evidence to respond to the following
1. List three reasons why the Pilgrims of Plimouth “plant[ed] the first colony in the northern parts of Virginia”.


2. What is the purpose of a covenant?


3. Why did the Pilgims of Plimouth “enact, constitute, and frame such just and equal laws?”


4. (thinking question; not in the text) Why was “the water not being high enough?”


5. What were the Indian’s weapons?

6. Why did the Pilgrims shoot “off a couple of muskets?”


7. (analysis question; not in text) What is the significance of some of the Indian’s weapons being “headed with brass?”


8. Why were “none of [the Pilgrims] either hit or hurt?’


9. List five descriptors of the “savage”.


10. (synthesis question) What do the following words signify in terms of the Plilgrim’s relationship with the Indians?
“…they did eat liberally of our English victuals, they made semblance of friendship and amity.”

For Monday: Dividing Line, Walum Olum and five questions:
History of the Dividing Line / Westover Chronicles (William Byrd's diary )

¥ February 8, 1709. I rose at 5 o'clock this morning and read a chapter in Hebrew and 200 verses in Homer's Odyssey. I ate milk for breakfast. I said my prayers. Jenny and Eugene were whipped. I danced my dance. I read law in the morning and Italian in the afternoon. . . .

¥ February 22, 1709. I rose at 7 o'clock and read a chapter in Hebrew and 200 verses in Homer's Odyssey. I said my prayers and ate milk for breakfast. I threatened Anaka with a whipping if she did not confess the intrigues between Daniel and Nurse, but she prevented by a confession. I chided Nurse severely about it, but she denied, with an impudent face, protesting that Daniel only lay on the bed for the sake of the child. I ate nothing but beef for dinner. . . .

¥ June 10, 1709. I rose at 5 o'clock this morning but could not read anything because of Captain Keeling, but I played at billiards with him and won half a crown of him and the Doctor. George B-th brought home my boy Eugene. . . . In the evening I took a walk about the plantation. Eugene was whipped for running away and had the [bit] put on him. I said my prayers and had good health, good thought, and good humor, thanks be to God Almighty.

¥ÊSeptember 3, 1709. . . . I read some geometry. We had no court this day. My wife was indisposed again but not to much purpose. I ate roast chicken for dinner. In the afternoon I beat Jenny for throwing water on the couch. . . .

¥ December 1, 1709. I rose at 4 o'clock and read two chapters in Hebrew and some Greek in Cassius. I said my prayers and ate milk for breakfast. I danced my dance. Eugene was whipped again for pissing in bed and Jenny for concealing it. . . .

¥ December 3, 1709. I rose at 5 o'clock and read two chapters in Hebrew and some Greek in Cassius. I said my prayers and ate milk for breakfast. I danced my dance. Eugene pissed abed again for which I made him drink a pint of piss. I settled some accounts and read some news. . . .

¥ June 17, 1710. . . .I set my closet right. I ate tongue and chicken for dinner. In the afternoon I caused L-s-n to be whipped for beating his wife and Jenny was whipped for being his whore. In the evening the sloop came from Appomattox with tobacco. I took a walk about the plantation. I said my prayers and drank some new milk from the cow. . . .

¥ÊFebruary 27, 1711. I rose at 6 o'clock and read two chapters in Hebrew and some Greek in Lucian. I said my prayers and ate boiled milk for breakfast. I danced my dance and then went to the brick house to see my people pile the planks and found them all idle for which I threatened them soundly but did not whip them. . . . In the afternoon Mr. Dunn and I played at billiards. Then we took a long walk about the plantation and looked over all my business. In the evening my wife and little Jenny had a great quarrel in which my wife got the worst but at last by the help of the family Jenny was overcome and soundly wipped. At night I ate some bread and cheese. I said my prayers and had good health, good thoughts, and good humor, thank God Almighty.

The Secret Diary of William Byrd of Westover, 1709-1712 , by Louis B. Wright and Marion Tinling, eds., Richmond 1941, Dietz Press

Thinking about the Walum Olum
1. List five of the Great Manio’s creations.
a.
 
b.
 
c.
 
d.
 
e.
2. What did the evil Manito create?
 
3. What six troubles did a “mighty magician” bring to the earth?
a.
 
b.
 
c.
 
d.
 
e.
 
f.
4. According to The Walum Olum, what constitutes a happy life for the Delaware?
 
5. Examine the pictographs carefully. What evidence is there that the “evil Manito”  and the “evil being, a mighty magician” might be the same spirit?

No comments:

Post a Comment