Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Tuesday, October 16 punny day

Finishing up Hamlet: the death scene
Missing essays: Allison, Sierra, Kathy, Ariana, Katherine
From the counselors....

College Night tonight 10/16!
6:30 in the Ensemble theater
Information about applying to college and financial aid.
We will have two financial aid representatives here to talk you and your parents about the financial aid process.

 

Today in class: a look at visual and verbal puns
Homework: for Thursday, make sure you have carefully read the introductory material to American literature before 1750. A copy is on yesterday's blog.

Puns are silly, and will often make you groan. There are also visual puns. Take a look.






Iron Man the Avenger

SMP CLASSIC: Confused Shark is Confused


Puns

"A Play on Words"

Using a word or words that have more than 1 meaning.

Examples:

1. I recently spent money on detergent to unclog my kitchen sink. It was money down the drain.

2. Our social studies teacher says that her globe means the world to her.

3. A jury is never satisfied with the verdict. The jury always returns it.

4. Sir Lancelot once had a very bad dream about his horse. It was a knight mare.

5. A dog not only has a fur coat but also pants.

6. Today I've got a pressing engagement. I must go to the cleaners.

7. The principal part of a horse is the mane, of course.

8. Having lots of good cookbooks only makes sense. They contain such stirring events.

9. If you want to make a pun from dunlop. Then lop off the lop and the pun is dun.

10. I used to be twins. My mother has a picture of me when I was two.

11. I work as a baker because I knead dough.

12. What is the difference between a conductor and a teacher?

The conductor minds the train and a teacher trains the mind.

AND…

1.I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me. 

2. I couldn't quite remember how to throw a boomerang, but eventually it came back to me.

3. Did you hear about the guy whose whole left side was cut off? He's all right now. 

4. He drove his expensive car into a tree and found out how the Mercedes bends. 

5. There was a sign on the lawn at a drug re-hab center that said 'Keep off the Grass'.

6. Police were called to a daycare where a three-year-old was resisting a rest. 

7. To write with a broken pencil is pointless. 

8. A small boy swallowed some coins and was taken to a hospital. When his grandmother telephoned to ask how he was, a nurse said 'No change yet'. 

9. What did the grape say when it got stepped on? Nothing - but it let out a little whine. 

10. The butcher backed up into the meat grinder and got a little behind in his work.

No comments:

Post a Comment