Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Tuesday, Sept 11 Summer reading day 2


Reminders: Vocabulary 1 is due this Friday at the beginning of class. If you are absent, Please scan in your work or send along the responses.   Problems? see me very soon.

For Wednesday: please bring the handout we were working on in class last Friday.

Make sure you have familiarized yourself with the following poem before class tomorrow. This is on Friday's handout.

The Day Lady Died                                    FRANK O'HARA
It is 12:20 in New York a Friday                            
three days after Bastille day, yes                           July 14, French national holiday, commemorates beginning French revolution                                                                   
it is 1959 and I go get a shoeshine
because I will get off the 4:19 in Easthampton                      town on Eastern Long Island
at 7:15 and then go straight to dinner
and I don’t know the people who will feed me
I walk up the muggy street beginning to sun
and have a hamburger and a malted and buy                      milkshake
an ugly new world writing to see what the poets
in Ghana are doing these days                                                     west African country
I go on to the bank
and Miss Stillwagon (first name Linda I once heard)                      name of narrator’s  bank teller
doesn’t even look up my balance for once in her life
and in the golden griffin I get a little Verlaine                                  New York bar         French poet
for Patsy with drawings by Bonnard although I do                         French artist
think of Hesiod, trans. Richmond Lattimore or                                  ancient  Greek poet             
Brendan Behan’s new play or Le Balcon or Les Nègres                     Irish poet               two plays by Genet
of Genet, but I don’t, I stick with Verlaine                       controversial French poet / playwright       French symbolist poet after practically going to sleep with quandariness                       a state of perplexity or uncertainty
and for Mike I just stroll into the park lane
Liquor Store and ask for a bottle of Strega and                      an Italian herbal liquor
then I go back where I came from to 6th Avenue
and the tobacconist in the Ziegfeld Theatre and                    theatre in NYC
casually ask for a carton of Gauloises and a carton                 French cigarettes
of Picayunes, and a new york post with her face on it               French cigarettes                   New York newspaper
and I am sweating a lot by now and thinking of
leaning on the john door in the 5 spot                                            restaurant
while she whispered a song along the keyboard
to Mal Waldron and everyone and I stopped breathing                  American jazz composer
1959

No comments:

Post a Comment