Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Wednesday, 19 September Shakespeare's puns

 Missing work: ephiphany essay: Chris and Ariana
            soliloquy definition and questions- Ariana

Due Today: Act I.iii and Act I.iv. reading

For next class, Thursday, 20 September: finish Act I

Friday, 21 September: read Act II.i.
On Friday we will be in the library computer lab. You will be writing on Act I.




  
Ophelia, Laertes and Polonius

  In class today:


Act I vocabulary

apparition:     a supernatural appearance of a person or thing, especially a ghost

avouch:           guarantee

auspicious :     prosperous; fortunate.        

comart:            bargain; covenant

obsequious:    obedient; dutiful.

jocund:            cheerful, merry, glad

beteem:           to give; grant

tenable:           capable of being held, maintained, or defended

calumnious:     slanderous; defamatory.

cautel:              craft; deceit; falseness.

libertine:         a person who is morally or sexually unrestrained,

dalliance:         amorous toying; flirtation.

censure:          strong or vehement expression of disapproval

sepulcher:       a tomb, grave, or burial place.

importune:      to beg for (something) urgently or persistently.

enmity:            a feeling or condition of hostility; hatred; ill will; animosity

pernicious:      Ruinous; evil; wicked



Shakespeare's Puns in Hamlet



Name______________________________________  Date_______________________

On the lines below each quote, briefly explain the pun(s) as you think Shakespeare might have intended for his audience. Remember, a pun can be a humorous play on words that look or sound alike, but have different meanings.

1.         KING CLAUDIUS
                        Take thy fair hour Laertes. Time be thine,
                        And thy best graces spend it at thy will. –
                        But now, my cousin Hamlet and my son –
HAMLET, aside
                        A little more then kin and less then kind.
KING
                        How is it that the clouds still hang on you?
HAMLET
                        Not so, my lord; I am too much in the sun.

(Act I.ii. 64-69)






2.         HAMLET
                        I’ll make a ghost of him that lets me!
                                                            (Act I.iv. 95)







3.         HAMLET
Thrift, thrift Horatio! The funeral baked meats
Did coldly furnish forth the marriage tables.
                                    (Act I.ii.180-181)






Note: if anyone needs to send me anything my email is amclean4@mail.naz.edu-thanks!
-Mrs. Harmon


No comments:

Post a Comment